Friday, February 1, 2008

Get Well Soon Michael Wilbon

Growing up in the DC suburbs I was raised on the Washington Post. To be sure, I now read its news stories with more skepticism than I did in my younger days. However, the Post's sports page was must reading for me. During the late 80s and the 90s that meant you read Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon, or as Kornheiser called him Mike "That Toddlin Town" Wilbon, in reference to Wilbon's affinity for his hometown of Chicago.

Before PTI and celebrity sports writers, Wilbon proved himself one of the best sports journalists in the country. He covered the Terps in the Len Bias era and the Redskins. I devoured all of his pieces, hungrily awaiting the next day's paper. Although I did not agree with all of his columns, he always made an argument you had to take seriously.

Wilbon recently suffered a heart attack, I wish him a speedy recovery.

No comments: